[新聞] Bidding War for Rodriguez Needs 2 Teams

看板A-Rod作者 (囧mmmmmmm)時間16年前 (2007/11/07 18:39), 編輯推噓1(100)
留言1則, 1人參與, 最新討論串1/1
出自: http://tinyurl.com/2mm5w6 Bidding War for Rodriguez Needs 2 Teams 競標喊價當然是越多人越熱鬧 By MURRAY CHASS Published: November 7, 2007 ORLANDO, Fla. Alex Rodriguez is not attending the general managers meetings, so no general managers have been throwing thousand dollar bills or offers at him. But his agent, Scott Boras, isn’t ready to entertain any offers yet. When Boras has a major client on the market, teams are required to conduct themselves the Boras way, that is, however Boras wants them to. For example, one of the reasons Boras was said not to want Rodriguez to meet with the Yankees before he opted out of his contract was because he didn’t want the Yankees to make him an offer. When the Yankees persisted, Boras told them the only way they could meet with Rodriguez would be if they put a minimum of $350 million on the table. To their credit, the Yankees opted to pass. Since Rodriguez opted out of the contract the night of the final game of the World Series, Boras and a confidant of Rodriguez have tried to promote a meeting with the Yankees. Boras has sounded indignant that the Yankees have said they would not negoti- ate with Rodriguez as a free agent, since they are negotiating with the free agents Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada. The more Boras talks the more he sounds like he thinks he erred by orches- trating the opt-out clause with Rodriguez. Maybe Boras was calling the Yankees’ bluff, and now may see that they are serious about not talking to A-Rod to play third base. Any agent with a player like A-Rod for a client would want the Yankees to drive up the bidding. The question now is if there is anyone else to drive up the bidding? Boras has almost always achieved his goals for his superstar clients, finding some team to bid big. But is there a team among the other 29 prepared to make his and A-Rod’s day? With the general managers available at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, I identified some possible bidders and asked if they had an interest in Rodriguez. Tony Reagins of the Angels said: “Obviously we don’t know the expense or what his offer would be, but we have interest. I think we have to look at what the landscape of that situation is. We would definitely consider an opportunity to improve our club.” Arte Moreno, the Angels’ owner, has said privately that he would not use such a large percentage of the team’s payroll for one player. “I can’t speak for Arte directly, but we’re open to discussion,” Reagins said. “We want to see what the level of interest is around the league and we’d want to be in the mix. The fact that Alex is available is intriguing.” Are the Angels prepared to pay $30 million to $35 million a year? “That’s hypothetical,” Reagins said. “We don’t know what the price is going to be. When we get to that point, we’d have to take a strong look at it. There are numbers that are being thrown around, but I don’t know how much merit they have. It could be that. It may not be that.” Brian Sabean, the Giants’ general manager, isn’t at the meetings. Dick Tidrow, the assistant general manager, answered the question. “I think we would obviously kick the tires,” he said. “But it’s a long shot.” Although the Giants could use a superstar to keep AT&T Park filled and help pay off the bank debt, a major league official has said that they couldn’t afford A-Rod. The person did not want to comment publicly about another team’s finances. Ned Colletti of the Dodgers said: “We’ll have to wait and see. I haven’t heard from Scott. I don’t know if they have interest in being there or not. If they have interest we’ll see where we go. It’ll take a long time to play out, I’m sure.” Jim Hendry of the Cubs said: “He’s a great, great player. I know he has a longstanding relationship with Lou Piniella. Anybody would love to have him. In our situation we’re very happy with Aramis Ramirez at third. In the overall scheme of things, for the dollars it would take, we have other needs — in the outfield, speed-wise, maybe a little more pitching. “For that kind of volume of dollars, I don’t see a way that would make any sense because we’re very happy with our guy at third. To commit that much more to one player and not address the other needs we have when we already have an All-Star caliber third baseman is really tough to do.” Theo Epstein of the Red Sox said, “We’re attempting to sign Mike Lowell and we’re not going to figure out any other alternatives until we see how that process plays out.” Dave Dombrowski of the Tigers said, “We do not have interest.” Larry Beinfest of the Marlins said: “We have no plans to pursue A-Rod or engage in any negotiations for him. It makes no sense to have a player who takes up most, if not all, of our on-field payroll.” Bill Bavasi of the Mariners said, “We’re not a player.” Bavasi added that he continued to believe that the Yankees would be the best fit for Rodriguez. “The Yankees need a third baseman,” he said. Two of the three executives questioned at random — Andy MacPhail of Baltimore and J. P. Ricciardi of Toronto — said they had no interest. The third, Kevin Towers of San Diego, said: “Do I have interest in him? Absolutely. Do I think we’ve got a legitimate chance to sign him? No. I’d have a hard time paying one guy a third of our payroll. We wouldn’t be able to compete.” Omar Minaya of the Mets didn’t mention Rodriguez yesterday. The day before, he said he would look at Rodriguez like he looks at all free agents. Some people inferred from that comment that the Mets were interested. They are not. The only way that would probably change was if Fred Wilpon, the Mets’ principal owner, had a dream that the Mets won the World Series next October with A-Rod in their lineup. -- 『可否答應我最後一次,如我所想你般地想我一天? 最後,讓我再放肆且溫柔地向你說一聲──我愛你。』 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 203.71.94.31

11/07 19:04, , 1F
推 簽名檔....
11/07 19:04, 1F
文章代碼(AID): #17CPNghZ (A-Rod)