Re: Leaving the Desktop Market

看板FB_hackers作者時間10年前 (2014/04/03 20:01), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串31/54 (看更多)
On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 11:39:07PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote: > On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru> wrote: > > [...] The setup is a bit ugly, but I only had to check the available PINs > > (ugly, ugly) and set up stuff once. It just works. > > > > Not always, unfortunately. I also had a working pin override configuration > > in /boot/loader.conf, but after r236750 (major snd_hda driver rewrite) it > > stopped working. I've reported it and tried to get some support from mav@ > > but he never replied. Since then, I have to carry pre-r236750 version of > > snd_hda(4) to have working sound. > > Is that just in head? Do I have more fun to look forward to? r236750 is MFC to stable/8 (yeah, it went pretty far; if I had been doing upgrades more often I would probably have caught it and vetoed MFC, but we are now here where we are, so I guess I have to live with it until I find time to sit down and figure out what went wrong with my setup). That said, if everything keeps working for you, then you probably should not worry. :) > The key problem with power, as I have written several times is the > conflation of TCC or throttling as power management tools. Mix them (they > really don't save power) with Cx states is often worse than what you are > seeing. It can cause many systems to lock up. > > Try setting: > powerd_enable="YES" > performance_cx_lowest="Cmax" > economy_cx_lowest="Cmax" > into /etc/rc.conf and putting: > # Disable CPU throttling > hint.p4tcc.0.disabled=1 > hint.acpi_throttle.0.disabled=1 > into /boot/loader.conf. That should work MUCH better and will really save > power (assuming that your system supports better than C2 as C2 usually is > a pretty minor power savings. C3 or higher is usually where things really > start to improve. Wow, that's great, thanks for your advice! I'll try these out and see how it will go. > I've read a paper from SDSC (San Diego Supercomputer Center) showing that > CX states are by far and away the most significant power saver and they > should cause only very trivial and unnoticeable impact on performance. > Number two is EST, but that is almost always enabled on FreeBSD, so I > assume that you have that running already (or the AMD equivalent). Noted. FWIW, I do have EST enabled; I'm also running it with modified DSDT file (patched _PSS table) for CPU undervolting (less heat, longer battery life). ../danfe _______________________________________________ freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org mailing list http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hackers To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-hackers-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"
文章代碼(AID): #1JFKr_gC (FB_hackers)
討論串 (同標題文章)
文章代碼(AID): #1JFKr_gC (FB_hackers)