Re: zpool labelclear destroys GPT data

看板FB_stable作者時間11年前 (2013/06/14 16:32), 編輯推噓0(000)
留言0則, 0人參與, 最新討論串7/15 (看更多)
On 14/06/2013, at 17:05, Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com> wrote: >> Of course, zpool(8) will do exactly what you tell it to do. It does >> not know about any partitioning schemes and assumes that the user >> knows that using labelclear on a the whole disk will potentially >> destroy all data on it including any partitioning information. >> > Well as i found out, zpool(8) does not know what it clears. ! :D > > I think an adjustment to the man page is in order here. > The man page clearly state it removes ZFS labels, not GPT, gmirror and glabel labels. > It should mention it will remove labels from the disk/device, and that it clears ALL labels. > > If a user reads the man page it now looks save to use labelclear. > I thougt that zpool would know if there was zpool label information on the disk, and if i a case there is no ZFS label information it will tell me that! > In my case i did not loose anything, so no big deal but there will proberbly be someone who gets bitten by this. > > A plus is that i found a new way to clear my disks fast ! ;) It only clears ZFS labels, just because GPT & gmirror information sits in a similar place doesn't make that incorrect. You are saying the equivalent of.. Why does "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0" erase my whole disk, not just the first partition? ie you are giving the tool bad options and then complaining when it doesn't do what you meant :) Perhaps it should be modified to check if there is valid ZFS data there before proceeding (although that could be annoying unless there is a way to force it), and/or the man page could be amended to say it doesn't do any checks before erasing things. -- Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software - http://www.gsoft.com.au "The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from." -- Andrew Tanenbaum GPG Fingerprint - 5596 B766 97C0 0E94 4347 295E E593 DC20 7B3F CE8C _______________________________________________ freebsd-stable@freebsd.org mailing list http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-stable-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"
文章代碼(AID): #1HkjK3bW (FB_stable)
討論串 (同標題文章)
文章代碼(AID): #1HkjK3bW (FB_stable)