[M娃 ] An exclusive audience with tennis ac …

看板GBR_Tennis作者 (竹黃池冷芙蓉死)時間14年前 (2010/06/15 00:03), 編輯推噓5(501)
留言6則, 6人參與, 最新討論串1/2 (看更多)
Herald Scotland 我愛您~ 英媒報導都這樣的話世界就太平了。 這幾天看新聞好容易生氣, 翻譯了這篇消氣<3 這是今天刊出的法網後的專訪, 下禮拜還有另一篇會讓Andy講溫布頓。 http://tinyurl.com/2uflkeu 文中fame game感覺很難用中文講所以就維持原貌, 有一些地方稍微修飾了一下讀起來比較順, 也有一兩句胡亂混過去的XD An exclusive audience with tennis ace Andy Murray, by Hugh MacDonald 獨家專訪網球王牌Andy Murray Hugh MacDonald 14 Jun 2010 His public and private faces are worlds apart, yet one thing binds the two together: the will to win. 他的公眾形象與私底下的形象天差地別,而唯一將兩者連結起來的是:想贏的意志。 Here Andy Murray grants a rare private audience to Hugh MacDonald as the world No 4 prepares for his greatest challenge yet: winning Wimbledon. 世界排名第四的Andy Murray在準備他的最大挑戰——贏得溫布頓——的同時, 給了Hugh MacDonald一個絕無僅有的私人專訪機會。 He walks with the gait of someone who has just realised he left his winning lottery ticket in the trousers he donated to the charity shop. But Andy Murray is happy. He's near a tennis court, after all. 他走路的姿態好像是一個剛驚覺自己把得獎彩券忘在口袋裡、跟著褲子一起捐給慈善 商店了的人。不過Andy還是快樂的,畢竟他正在網球場附近。 His shambling progress around Roland Garros, the home of the French Open, is greeted with cries of "Ongdee, Ongdee", as youngsters recognise one of the best tennis players in the world. The open, one of the four major world titles, is at its height and Murray is one of the chief attractions. At 6ft 3in and more than 13 stones, Murray is big in stature, substantial in world fame. He cracks an oddly gentle, shy smile at the children and signs autographs. 在法網基地Roland Garros附近他拖拖拉拉的前進著,年輕人認出他是世界上最好的網 球員之一而「Ongdee, Ongdee」(法國腔的Andy)的叫著迎接他。這個四大滿貫之一 的賽事正高潮迭起,而Murray是幾個主要的吸引力之一。身高190公分、體重82公斤, Murray有著高大的體格以及舉世可觀的名氣。他一邊簽名一邊對孩子們害羞的笑了, 是一個奇妙的溫柔微笑。 He makes his way to the media centre where the world's press ask the questions that are always asked. How is he? Can he win? Will he win? And what about the World Cup? Murray dodges the last with a nimble step. His "anyone but England" gag of four years ago produced an extraordinary backlash against the young Scot. Murray, at 23, is older and quieter. 他走到了媒體中心,來自各地的記者在這裡問一些一再重複的問題:他覺得怎麼樣? 他能不能贏?會不會贏?還有關於世界杯呢?Muraay靈活的閃開了最後一個問題。四 年前他說的玩笑話「只要不是英格蘭」為這年輕蘇格蘭人引來嚴重的負面效應。現在 23歲的Murray年紀大了一些,也變得比較沈默。 "When I first came on the tour at Wimbledon, it was new to me," he tells me after the press conference. "I was innocent and naive and I got away with it then because people liked it. I was young and they gave me some room. They found stuff funny. But that disappears when you become more famous. Now you cannot make a joke about stuff. At least, I tend now not to make jokes about stuff." 「我第一次打溫布頓時剛轉職業,那對我來說是個全新的經驗」,他在記者會後告訴 我。「我當時很無知又天真,但人們喜歡我那樣,所以我逃過了一劫。我還年輕,而 他們願意給我一些空間,他們覺得(我的行為)很有趣。但是當你變得更有名,就不 是同一回事。現在不能亂開玩笑了,至少,我現在傾向不要開玩笑。」 He is alert and adept at press conferences, but he offers little. "You have to be a bit stand-offish. If not, there can be hassle," he says in a small room in the bowels of Roland Garros. 在記者會上他很警覺而熟練,但是他口風很緊。「你必須要步步為營,如果不這樣, 就可能會引起軒然大波。」他在Roland Garros深處的一間小房間裡這麼說。 Murray is playing the fame game. It is one where he incurs a substantial loss. He does not, cannot, reveal himself fully to the public through the press. The result is that there is a skewed perception of him in Britain. At Roland Garros, the youngsters clamour around him and shout loudly when he is on court. And he was made for Flushing Meadows, New York – the raucous crowd there takes him as one of its own. Murray likes the noise and mayhem that leaks from the stands in the cavernous Arthur Ashe stadium. The New Yorkers like his attitude. He plays to win and does not apologise for that. Murray現在在玩的就是fame game,在這fame game中他曾遭受重大的損失。他不要( 也不能)藉著媒體將自己完全顯露在公眾的目光之下。結果就是在英國他的形象是扭 曲的。在Roland Garros,年輕人在他身邊吵吵鬧鬧、當他上場他們就大聲喊叫。而 紐約的Flushing Meadows(美網)更是適合他,嘶吼的美國觀眾們把他當成自己人。 Murray喜歡聳立的Arthur Ashe球場看台傳來的噪音和混亂。紐約客喜歡他的態度: 為了贏而打球,而且不為此感到抱歉。 But it is different on home shores. There is the constant complaint that Murray is dour, even sour, a gripe that emanates almost exclusively from Middle England and its chroniclers. Yet in private he is dryly humorous, unfailingly polite and generous. To describe Murray thus invites charges of a grovelling obsequiousness, but it is the product of personal experience. 但是在海洋彼岸的家鄉就不同了。一直有人抱怨Murray很陰沈、甚至很「酸」,這牢 騷幾乎特別來自英格蘭中部民眾和其報章。但是私下的Murray其實是個冷面笑匠,而 且總是很有禮貌、很大方。因此,這樣形容Murray就會被指責說是在逢迎諂媚,不過 這都是根據我的個人經驗而寫下的。 The mixture of deep emotion and sardonic wit is rarely witnessed by the public. Murray is famed for his fist-pumping gestures, his fanatical roars and his battering of the racket in frustration. All this occurs on court. His belligerence evaporates in contact with the real world. Murray混雜著深層的感情和諷刺的風趣的這一面很少被大眾看到。他為人所知的是他 的握拳姿勢、他的瘋狂吶喊,以及他在受挫時的大砸球拍。這些都在球場上發生。當 他跟真實世界接觸時他的攻擊性就蒸發無蹤了。 Does Murray regret that people do not know him? He shrugs. It is not a gesture of rudeness, merely acceptance. That is the way it is. However, Murray revealed a little of himself after his defeat in the final of the Australian Open this year in Melbourne. Thrashed in three sets by Roger Federer, Murray was disconsolate. The year before, Federer had cried when beaten by Rafael Nadal. Murray wept when receiving the runner-up prize. He turned to Federer and said: "I can cry like you, Roger. It's a pity I can't play tennis like you." Murray會不會因為大家不了解他而覺得可惜呢?他聳聳肩。這不是一個無禮的動作, 而是單純接受的動作。事情就是這樣。但是,在澳網決賽失利時他表現出一點點他真 實的自我。被Federer直落三之後,Murray非常失落。一年前Federer被Nadal在此擊 敗時,Federer也曾經哭過。Murray在接受亞軍獎賞時流著淚說:「我可以像Roger一 樣哭,可惜我無法打得像他一樣好。」 It was a moment of genuine humility and quiet dignity in defeat. Murray had approached the ceremony with some trepidation. "I knew as I was going up there that it was going to be difficult," he recalls. "I said to Roger, 'I'm feeling pretty emotional – I might cry.' When I started crying, I knew I wasn't going to hold it together. It happens to everybody." It does not, of course. Few people endure a professional setback in front of millions. Not many can crack a joke when months, perhaps years of hard work fail to gain the prize. Defeat for the sportsman involves public humiliation. It is part of the fame game. 那是一個面對失敗而能保有純粹謙卑與沈靜尊嚴的時刻。Murray在頒獎典禮時帶著深 重的憂鬱。「我知道我要上台也知道這會很困難。」他回想。「我對Roger說:『我 現在心情很激動,我大概會哭吧。』當我開始哭,我就曉得我收不回來了。每個人都 會經歷這種時候。」哪有啊。很少人必須要在百萬人面前忍受自己職業上的失敗。也 不是很多人能夠在數月、數年的辛苦練習仍舊無法奪冠之後,還能逼自己說笑。運動 員的失敗就是跟當眾受辱直接相關。這也是fame game的一部份。 "I haven't really thought about what I have learned about myself," he says quickly. The room seems to close in as he stretches his frame. He has just dismissed questions about a difficult year with a casual but final stroke. In the course of 12 months, he has lost a Wimbledon semi-final, exited meekly from the US Open and lost the final of the Australian Open. He suffered a bad injury to his wrists and his knee, where he suffers from a bipartite patella (a split kneecap), hurts constantly. His first serious relationship, with student Kim Sears, ended, though there remains speculation that it has been rekindled. The private pain remains unspoken. Murray alludes obliquely to the sporting anguish. Most professional observers believe he was devastated by the Australian Open. His return to the circuit after Melbourne found him vulnerable, beatable. The player who had at one time reached the position of world No 2, behind the greatest player ever to have wielded a racket, Federer, was being trounced by journeymen. 「我還沒有好好想過我學到了什麼。」他很快的說。他伸了個腰,房間就好像變小 了。他剛拒答了幾個關於過去這艱難一年的問題,語氣很隨和但也帶著堅定。12個月 以來,他輸掉了溫布頓四強、在美網平順的出局、澳網決賽落敗。他經歷嚴重的腕傷, 還有他的膝蓋因為天生的bipartite patella而持續疼痛;他的第一段認真戀愛(與Kim Sears)結束了(雖然有傳言說他們已重修舊好)。他仍舊不談私人的苦楚。Murray只 間接提到他運動上的煎熬。大部分的的職業觀察家相信澳網對他的打擊很大。墨爾本 之後重回巡迴賽的Murray變得可以被打敗。這個曾經世界排名第二的選手(排在在史 上最偉大的網球選手Federer之後),被其他的球員痛打。 "He needed time to heal," someone very close to Murray told me. The Scot is routinely more circumspect. "I have worked so hard for the last three years to get into the best shape possible," he says. "After the Australian Open I felt not quite burnt out, but my body was aching." Murray had spent most of December in Miami. His Christmas holiday away from the tennis circuit was spent doing interval sprints, weightlifting and endless endurance work. "I put a lot of effort in," he says of his festive exertions. He paid the price after the 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 defeat by Federer. "It wasn't like I didn't want to practise or go to the gym. I just felt tired a lot of the time. My results reflected the fact I hadn't been putting in as much work as normal," he says. "But then I started getting back to the gym, getting on the court more, hitting the balls. It's as simple as that. Nowadays you need to take a break and relax." 「他需要時間療傷。」Murray的一個親友告訴我。而這蘇格蘭人則是一如往常的慎重 回答:「在過去三年我非常努力的達成我可能達成的最理想身體狀態。」他說。「在 澳網之後我不覺得燃燒殆盡,但是身體是在痛的。」Murray以往在邁阿密度過大部分 的十二月。網球巡迴賽停止的的聖誕假期,他用來練折返跑、舉重,以及永無止境的 苦練。[我下了很多苦工。」他這麼描述他的假期活動。而在6-3 6-4 7-6輸給Federer 之後付出了代價。「不是說我不想練習或不想去健身房。而是我一直覺得很累。我受 訓的份量不如以往,就反映在我的成績上。」他說。「但是後來我又開始常跑健身房、 上球場練球等等。就是這麼簡單而已。人需要偶爾休息。」 The idea of a workaholic such as Murray relaxing is mildly shocking. He enjoys fantasy football, watching the sport – he's a Hibernian fan – dabbles in property and contests basketball dream team competitions with rivals John Isner and Andy Roddick of the US. But tennis has taken up his life from such an early age. 像Murray這種工作狂跑去休息,這想法是有點嚇人。他選擇玩fantasy football、看 運動賽事(他是蘇格蘭足球隊Hibernian的球迷)、在自家地產漫步、跟John Isner和 Andy Roddick玩fantasy basketball(註:這個不太確定)等等。但是他從小就已經 被網球佔據了人生。 There is a history of Murray that runs seamlessly from the toddler playing swingball, through the child winning tournaments and the teenager winning the US Open junior title, to the man sitting in front of me as one of the greatest players in the world. But there is a life lived, too. It has had its awful drama and its more mundane trials. Murray was in Dunblane Primary School when Thomas Hamilton shot dead 16 children and a teacher in March 1996. He referred to the incident obliquely in his autobiography. He does not speak of it today. Besides, what would one ask? Murray從走路還搖搖晃晃的幼兒期就在玩swingball,長大一點開始贏比賽,到青少 年時得到了美網青少年冠軍,成人後,坐在我面前的這是世上最好的運動員之一。但 是,除此之外還有真實人生要過。這人生有可怕的悲劇和入世的人味。1996年3月 Thomas Hamilton槍殺16個兒童與一名老師的Dunblane小學就是Murray當時就讀的學 校。他在自傳中委婉提及過這事件。但是他現在不談這事。而且,這有什麼好問的呢? The young man is also different from all his friends, having left home aged 15 to train at a tennis academy in Barcelona. His outstanding talent provided him with a ticket to professional tennis, but it also involved a journey away from family and friends. 這個年輕人也跟他的所有朋友不同。十五歲就離家到巴塞隆納網球學院受訓。他的突 出天分提供了他進入職業網球的門票,但是這也是一段遠離家人與朋友的旅程。 Is Murray aware of just how unusual his life is? "Yeah," he says. "A lot of the guys from the academy are now coaching and my friends in Dunblane are just finishing university. I feel like in some ways I may be immature but in other ways you have to grow up really, really quickly." Murray有沒有自覺到他的人生很特殊呢?「有啊,」他說。「很多在學院裡的同儕們 現在都變成教練,而我在Dunblane的朋友則是正要大學畢業。我覺得在某些方面我可 能很不成熟,但是在其他方面,又好像成長得非常、非常快。」 Murray has had to make tough decisions for a man of his age, dismissing two coaches and one agent, but he is brightly philosophical about his life. "You do a lot of things that people don't have the chance to do," he says. "By the time I was 17 I had been to pretty much every country and I had lived in a foreign country for two years without my family. These are things that are completely different from what other people do. Most of it you love, but there are other parts that are very, very difficult." 以Murray的年紀,他已經下過很多艱難的決定,像是解聘了兩個教練和一個經紀人。 但是他對自己的人生也有聰明有哲理的看法:「你可以做很多人沒機會做的事情。」 他說,「我17歲的時候已經去過很多國家,我在國外一個人舉目無親過了兩年。這些 都是跟其他人會做的事情完全不同的。大部分的時候我都喜愛,但也有很折磨人的時 候。」 Like fame? 例如名氣嗎? "For me, it has always been about tennis. It's not about the other stuff, like going to a movie premiere," he says. "I would way rather be at home. Going to the cinema for me is a private thing. I try to live normally. Fame is not something I would wish upon anyone, because I don't enjoy it." His mission is to keep himself far from the front pages of newspapers. 「對我而言,我只在乎網球。不管別的。像應邀參加電影首映這種有的沒的,」他 說:「我寧願待在家裡。去電影院是私人的事情,我想過普通生活。名氣不是我會想 要祝福人得到的東西,因為我覺得這不是讓人享受的感覺。」他的任務就是讓自己不 要上報紙頭版。 Does he care what the press says about him? Does he bridle when they call him Grumpy Andy or speculate on his private life? "If there is a paper there and I have nothing to do, I will read it," he says. "I don't try to avoid them. I don't read a lot anyway. It can be easy to take things to heart when you read things about yourself in the papers, and sometimes when you're reading something that isn't true it can be frustrating. It's better to spend time with the people around you who know who you are, what you are up to, the real truth …" 他在乎媒體說他什麼嗎?媒體叫他Grumpy Andy(暴躁Andy)或是揣測他私人生活的 時候,他覺得火大嗎?「如果這裡有份報紙,而我沒有別的事做,我就會看。」他說。 [我不會刻意要避免它們,反正我也不是很愛閱讀啦。在報上讀到關於你的事情的時 候,很容易就會跟它認真,而當你讀到有些內容根本在胡扯,是可以讓人覺得很挫折。 還是花時間去跟周圍的朋友在一起比較好啊,他們知道你是什麼樣的人、想做什麼, 知道真相...」 He then smiles, immediately aware that he could be accused of having a moan when he has earned more than $10m in prize money and has just signed a contract with Adidas that will keep the wolf not only from the door but from his postcode for the rest of his life. 接著他笑了,意識到他可能會被批評說賺了千萬獎金、跟Adidas簽了天價合約還在抱 怨那麼多。 (keep the wolf from the door是一句在形容很窮的片語,這兩行耍耍嘴皮而已, 又很難翻就不翻了~) "There are definitely perks," he concedes. Murray is mostly relaxed about the public acclaim. "I always try to be very polite and sign as many autographs as possible, pose for pictures with people. It's quite nice when you go to the shops and people ask to have a photograph taken with you. I like it when people come up and talk, but I get uptight and nervous when I turn around and there is a camera phone in my face. You never know when people are taking pictures." 「當然(名氣)也有好處,」他讓步了。Murray在大眾注目之下通常還是很放鬆。 「我總是會盡量很有禮貌、能簽多少名就簽多少、跟大家合照。去店裡遇到人們跟你 要求合照其實挺好的。我喜歡有人來找我攀談,但是如果我轉過身突然有個相機大砲 對準我的臉,我就會變得緊張不安。你永遠不知道何時有人在拍你。」 Andre Agassi gave Murray a copy of his autobiography, Open. In it, the American multiple grand slam winner admitted he hated tennis, but Murray is a tennis fanatic. Surely he doesn't hate the sport? "Yeah, I can," he says. "But it's not like a huge hate. It's more the waking up in the morning. You're young, playing hard, away from home, friends and family. I know I live this incredibly privileged life but it can sometimes be very difficult because it does become your job. It's tiring. Your body aches and you wake up knowing you have to train for four and five hours. I understand what Agassi was saying, particularly if he was being forced to do something he didn't want to do." Agassi給了Murray一本他的自傳《Open》,在書裡,這位多次奪得大滿貫的美國人承 認恨過網球,但Murray則是網球迷。他真的不恨網球吧?「嗯,要恨也可以啊。」他 說。「但不是那種痛恨的恨。比較像是早上起床,你很年輕,很努力打球,離家、離 親友都很遠。我知道我過的生活真是非常優越,但是有時這變成你的工作就會讓人受 不了。這是很累人的。身體疼痛著,而醒來時知道你要去訓練四五個小時。我了解 Agassi所說的,特別是他被迫做什麼不想做的事的那種情形。」 It is, however, something Murray wants to do. He is fanatical about sport. "When I stop playing, I would be very interested in working with children in sport, perhaps an academy or something like that," he says. Murray is passionate about the benefits of sport and keen to promote it back in his homeland. 不過,網球是Murray想做的事。他對運動有所狂熱。「等我不打網球以後,我很有興 趣從事兒童體育工作,類似學院之類的。」Murray對運動的好處很熱切贊同,並且亟 欲在本國推廣。 "One of the reasons I feel there should be more sport available to kids is that when I was at school it was very difficult to exercise," he says. "We didn't have the same programmes as there are in other parts of the world. I had to miss the odd lesson to go to practise tennis." 「我會覺得孩子們應該要有更多運動機會的原因,是因為在我小時候,學校裡很難運 動。」他說:「我們不像世界上有些國家那樣有很多體育課程。我以前為了練球常常 要犧牲其他的上課時間。」 He believes sport can be the basis of a good life. "There are a lot of jobs in sport, so people can make a career out of it," he says. "If there were more sports in school, it would definitely help. Not everyone is that good academically." 他相信運動是好生活的基礎。「運動界有很多工作機會,人們可以從中發展職業。」 「如果學校裡有更多種體育選擇,也會有所幫助。並不是每個人都在學科上很強。」 Murray is aware that his comments could be seen as an attempt to seek publicity. "It isn't," he says. "I don't want it to be a political thing because I don't know quite what the government is doing, but I think it all starts in the home with the foods you are eating. The schools could do a good job of making kids exercise. These are the two easiest ways of confronting it. It is a straightforward solution: eating healthily and exercising." Murray知道他的這些言論可能會被認為他想紅,「不是這樣。」他說。「我不想把這 政治化了。我不知道現在政府有沒有在做這方面的事。我只是想,從家裡的食物還有 學校讓學童們多運動當然是可以辦到的。就從這兩個最簡單的方法做起,健康飲食與 運動。」 The world No 4 has a personal reason for promoting exercise. "I don't feel good if I spend four or five days away from it," he says. "When I'm not playing tennis, I still like to exercise. When I was younger, I used to play golf, tennis, table tennis, football …" 世界第四有個推廣運動的個人理由:「只要四五天不運動我就覺得不舒服。」他說。 「不練網球的時候,我還是喜歡運動。我小時候打高爾夫、網球、桌球、踢足球...」 The conversation in France is almost over. His presence in the tournament will last just a few days more before he is disappointingly defeated by the world No 15, Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic, in the fourth round. The trials of Wimbledon now await him. 在法國的這個對話快要結束了。他在這項賽事只會再多留幾天,直到他失望的被世界 第15的捷克人Berdych於第四輪擊敗。溫布頓的審判現在正等著他。 Murray is relaxed about what he might face. "In many ways it's easier than the other slams," he says. He will stay in his Sussex mansion and travel every day to practise or play. "I get into a routine. I'm at home, with my friends and family around me, which is relaxing. You're watching the same TV you're always watching. You're making your own food. In a lot of ways, once the tournament starts, it can be quite relaxing. When I'm in Paris, the only TV I watch is when the tennis is on, but at home I can spend a lot of time chilling." Murray對於他可能要在英國面對的並不緊張。「在很多層面上我在溫布頓比其他大滿 貫自在。」他將會住在他Sussex的別墅,每天開車去練習或去比賽。「到時會進入慣 例行程。在家跟親友在一起,很輕鬆。看習慣看的電視節目,自己煮東西吃。只要比 賽開始了,就沒壓力了。我在巴黎的時候,唯一能看的電視節目就只有網球而已。在 家就可以花很多時間冷靜放空。」 Murray is hopeful about Wimbledon, calm about the maelstrom ahead. He rises, shakes my hand and heads to the practice grounds. Later I watch him kick and head a tennis ball across a net with his coaches and fitness trainer. Murray is relaxed. The four friends compete furiously but break down in laughter at a point won or a slagging that hits it mark. Murray對溫布頓的成績感到期待,暴風雨在前心情也十分平靜。他站起來握了我的手 之後前往球場練習。後來我看到他跟教練們玩足網球。Murray是放鬆的。激烈競爭足 網球的四個朋友們在得分時傳出一陣陣笑聲。 More than 300 people watch. A Murray match of head tennis is, after all, part of the fame game. 超過三百人正在看他。Murray的足網球比賽,終究也算是fame game的一部份。 Next week in The Herald and Sunday Herald: Andy Murray discusses his game plan for this year's Wimbledon, and all the attendant hype. 下週Andy Murray將要告訴我們今年他溫布頓的game plan,還有隨之而來的誇張矚目。 -- 日光燈暈暈菊花夜行軍 -- ※ 發信站: 批踢踢實業坊(ptt.cc) ◆ From: 94.195.203.50

06/15 01:12, , 1F
Great interview! Thanx for translating!
06/15 01:12, 1F
※ 編輯: Escude 來自: 94.195.203.50 (06/15 05:51)

06/16 01:30, , 2F
好棒的翻譯!!
06/16 01:30, 2F

06/16 02:01, , 3F
good!
06/16 02:01, 3F

06/16 10:53, , 4F
推!!!
06/16 10:53, 4F

06/16 12:08, , 5F
看了好幾天終於看完了 XDDDDDD
06/16 12:08, 5F